TOFARM Film Festival, a competition dedicated to creating awareness on the triumphs and struggles of the farmers and their industry as a whole, is set to tour its six entries to different provinces in the Philippines starting August 24, 2016. This is an effort done to boost understanding and familiarity of the public on the real issues that our kababayans in the agricultural sector are facing, through a medium that we all love and are familiar with, film.
Six stories highlighting different aspects of a farmer’s existence came to life in these beautifully crafted narratives. These include ZIg Dulay’s Paglipay, Paolo Villaluna’s Pauwi Na, Jojo Nadela’s Pilapil, Vic Acedillos Jr.’s Kakampi, Dennis Marasigan’s Free Range and Maricel Cariaga’s Pitong Kabang Palay. Each were carefully and creatively produced to zoom in to different characters with the goal of sharing a message that could help push the rest of the nation to take action in giving support for this sector.
First stop outside Manila is SM Pampanga and SM Cabanatuan in Nueva Ecija on August 24 to 30, 2016. This would be followed by a showcase at SM Cebu on September 14-20 and October 12-18 for SM Davao. Everyone is invited to watch to get a glimpse of a farmer’s way of life and get inspired with their perseverance, wit and heart as they work hard to provide feasts and abundance for the rest of the nation.
An awards night was held last July 20, 2016 where the following films and talents were hailed as winners:
• 1st Best Picture – Paglipay
• 2nd Best Picture – Pitong Kabang Palay
• 3rd Best Picture – Free Range
• Best Actress – Cherry Pie Picache, Pauwi Na
• Best Actor – Bembol Roco, Pauwi Na and Gabby Cabalic, Paglipay
• Best Supporting Actor – Micko Laurente, Pitong Kabang Palay
• Best Supporting Actress – Anna Luna, Paglipay
• Best Sound – Arnel De Vera, Pitong Kabang Palay
• Best Music – Lorenzo Nielsen, Pitong Kabang Palay
• Best Production Design – Mao Fadul, Pauwi Na
• Best Editing – Paolo Vilaluna and Ellen Ramos, Pauwi Na
• Best Cinematography – Albert Banzon, Paglipay
• Best Screenplay – Maricel Cariaga, Pitong Kabang Palay
• Best Story – Paolo Vilaluna and Ellen Ramos, Pauwi Na
• People’s Choice Award – Paglipay
• TOFARM Film Festival Professional Responsibility Award – Kakampi
• Ingenuity Award – Pilapil
• Jury Special Award for Outstanding Film – Pauwi Na
• TOFARM Film Festival Special Award for Outstanding Ensemble – Pitong Kabang Palay
TOFARM Film Festival is a project that was born out of passion and dedication to pay tribute to our unsung heroes, the farmers. This is a brain child of Dr. Milagros How, Executive Vice President of Universal Harvester Inc. together with the award winning film director, Maryo J. De Los Reyes. Everyone is given a chance to join the cause by simply purchasing a ticket. For every purchase of one ticket in any participating SM Mall, one farmer is automatically granted a free access to enjoy any of the films. Let us all join the cause and help push for the advocacy by giving recognition to the stories of our kababayans.
For more information about TOFARM Film Festival, visit http://www.TOFARM.org or check out their facebook site TOFARM Film Festival Philippines. For inquiries you may send an email to info.TOFARM@gmail.com